Skip to main content

Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes

You are going to love these. They are absolutely divine and I’m trying so hard not to eat a second one…dude, I’m totally failing *eats a second one*
These aren’t overwhelming with a super strong coffee flavor at all, so even if you aren’t a huge coffee fan I bet you’ll still enjoy these. They have only the slightest hint of coffee flavor, but it enhances the chocolate so you’re not just tasting straight up coffee — you’re tasting a mouthgasm. Pure chocolatey-mocha’y-coffee’y-decadence. I love the texture of this cupcake, its super moist and tender but has great structure so it holds up. The buttercream is pure heaven on a stick — it’s incredibly fluffy and literally melts in your mouth and isn’t gritty at all. I always make my buttercreams a good hour or two in advance just so the flavors can really meld, and this one is pure butterlust.
  • Q. Where the heck can I buy “espresso powder”?
  • A. At the grocery store :) It’s usually labeled “instant espresso coffee”.
Speaking of which, I didn’t have regular coffee laying around because I usually am a Tea drinker. But I did have boxes upon boxes of Gevalia dessert coffee, so I grabbed the Dark Chocolate Truffle flavor for this recipe. The flavored coffees aren’t nearly as strong as the regular stuff, so I’m sure had I used that my cupcakes would be even more amazeballs.
It literally took me about 10 minutes to make the cupcake batter and they baked for exactly 20 minutes in my oven. I’d start checking them at 17 minutes, though…you never know…ovens do indeed vary. I let mine cool for an hour before I frosted them.





CHOCOLATE MOCHA CUPCAKES WITH ESPRESSO BUTTERCREAM
 

 
PREP TIME
COOK TIME
TOTAL TIME
 
adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Serves: 12 cupcakes
INGREDIENTS
For the Mocha cupcakes:
  • 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
  • ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup whole milk
  • ½ cup strong brewed coffee
  • 1½ teaspoons espresso powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ½ cup light brown sugar
  • 1 egg, at room temperature
For the Espresso Buttercream:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2½ cups powdered sugar
  • 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1½ teaspoons espresso powder
  • 1 tbsp half & half or heavy cream
  • pinch of salt
INSTRUCTIONS
For the Mocha cupcakes:
  1. Mix the espresso powder into the brewed coffee until dissolved; set aside to cool to room temperature.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard-size muffin tin with paper liners.
  3. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  4. Beat the butter and both sugars together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and beat until combined. In a measuring cup, combine the milk, brewed coffee mixture and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture, alternating with the coffee mixture, ending with the flour mixture.
  5. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 liners. Baking for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting cupcakes.
For the Espresso Buttercream:
  1. Mix the espresso powder into the vanilla until dissolved; set aside.
  2. Using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, whip the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, stopping once to scrape the sides of the bowl. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar a little at a time, waiting until it is mostly incorporated before adding more. Once all of the powdered sugar has been added, scrape the sides of the bowl and increase the speed to medium-high and whip until fluffy, about a minute or two. Add the espresso, salt, half & half or heavy cream, and the vanilla mixture and continue to mix at medium-high until it is completely incorporated, scraping the sides as necessary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pineapple Salsa

Yea…I do realize that it’s no longer summer, but when I have a craving for something…then I have to have it. I wanted a fresh, cool, sweet yet spicy burst of summer despite it being “ugg season”… This is delicious. It’s a very basic fruit salsa recipe that you can alter to make your own. You can add additional fruits if you want, different peppers, beans — anything you want. Make sure you use a red onion though, don’t use any other kind because it won’t taste right. Fruit salsas are excellent over savory meats such as chicken or steak, but they’re even better on seafood. This baby here provides you with freshness, brightness, sweetness and heat. I used 2 very tiny Serrano peppers for this recipe, and I left some of the seeds from one in and removed the rest. I wanted a balanced heat, one that would compliment the natural sweetness of the fruit. I didn’t see any whole pineapple’s at Whole Foods today, but they did have these cup size “to go” packets of fresh pineapple an

Cinnamon Swirl Biscuit W/ a Buttery Maple Glaze..... and Bacon!

I love biscuits, and I love cinnamon rolls. So I decided to combine the two. This method is a whole helluva lot faster, and I’m a glutton for deliciousness! These are insane. I’m not even kidding. One bite, and everything wrong in your world will just suddenly be right. You won’t even care that your boyfriend forgot your name, or that your wife accidentally spilled nail polish remove all over your brand new iPad. Well…that might be a stretch, but you’ll at least forgive her a little faster if she makes these for you  I wish I could describe how delicious these were, but you’ll just have to make them for yourselves and see what the fuss is all about. The biscuits themselves are super tender, soft, buttery and delicious. Then there’s the maple glaze that compliments it perfectly, topped off with crunchy, tiny little pieces of salty smokey bacon. Man, listen…if you make these for someone special, they’ll never leave your life. I created this recipe not really knowing how it’d turn

Turkey Pot Pie

Comfort foods are my favorite part of the Fall/Winter seasons. You kinda have this excuse to curl up in front of the fire with a bowl of something that was prepared by hand and cooked all day. It’s the perfect time of the year for meals like this. We all grew up on some form of pot-pie, most of us bursting our pot-pie cherries by eating a flavorless frozen version. I admittedly hated those pies, but made sure I ate the crust. That was really the only decent part of the pie, if that. Now that I’m an adult, I prefer my pot-pies to be creamy but not super thick and gloppy, like the frozen ones some of us grew up on. I like to be able to experience the texture of each vegetable in every bite. I hate potatoes that fall apart into a mealy mess, so I used Yukon Gold’s. They’re perfect for this recipe, so make sure you use them. I am a huge fan of the top and bottom crust, but not for whole pies. If I’m making a large pie — which I did here — I much prefer a top crust, only. That way I don’t h